The Viceregal Lion
  1. The Governor General of Canada
  2. Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette
Heraldry Today

The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.

Ville de Baie-d’Urfé

Baie d’Urfé, Quebec
Grant of Arms
August 15, 2012
Vol. VI, p. 178

Arms of the Ville de Baie d'Urfé

[ previous page ]

Blazon

Arms

Vair a chief Gules;


Symbolism

Arms

The arms were borne by François-Saturnin Lascaris d’Urfé (1641-1701), a Sulpician missionary and the first resident priest of Saint-Louis-du-Haut-de-l’Île, the site of the present-day town of Baie-d’Urfé. The last member of the Lascaris d’Urfé family died in 1794, and the town has used the arms since 1960 to honour its association with the family. The unusual arrangement of the vair pattern at the base of the arms replicates their rendering on a silver cup once owned by François-Saturnin Lascaris d’Urfé, now in the collection of the Notre-Dame Basilica of Montreal. According to tradition, the arms were granted to Wlphe le Robuste, the progenitor of the family of Lascaris d’Urfé, to honour his participation in the Siege of Antioch in 1098. In battle, Wlphe wore a coat of scarlet lined with squirrel fur, the heraldic “vair”, and this coat inspired the design.