The Viceregal Lion
  1. The Governor General of Canada
  2. Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette
Heraldry Today

The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.

The Corporation of the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake

Virgil, Ontario
Grant of Arms, Supporters, Flag and Badge
November 15, 2013
Vol. VI, p. 277

Click on each image to enlarge. The blazon and symbolism for each element will accompany the enlarged image.


Blazon

Arms

Gules on a bend Azure fimbriated Argent between two coronets erablé, the mace of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada tempore 1792 Or its cap Gules;

Crest

Issuant from trees Brock’s Monument proper;

Supporters

Two lions Or, that to the dexter gorged of a ribbon Vert suspended therefrom a gorget Argent and supporting a staff proper flying therefrom the Royal Union Flag of 1707, that to the sinister gorged of a ribbon Vert suspended therefrom a medal Argent and supporting a staff proper flying therefrom the Flag of The Corporation of the Town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, both standing on a grassy mount set with peaches and grapevines fructed proper issuant from three bars wavy Azure, Argent and Azure;

Motto

FRUITFUL IN UNITY;

Flag

Azure the Arms in fly, a canton of the Royal Union Flag of 1707;

Badge

An oval Gules charged with a pale Azure fimbriated Argent and bearing the mace of the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada tempore 1792 Or its cap Gules, all environed by maple leaves Or;


Symbolism

Arms

The colours refer to the Royal Union Flag. The mace, a gilt wood object dating from 1792, indicates that Niagara-on-the-Lake, known then as Newark, was the first capital of the province of Upper Canada. The maple leaf coronets further this allusion and indicate the town’s Canadian identity.

Crest

Brock’s Monument is an important local landmark, commemorating the Battle of Queenston Heights in 1812.

Supporters

Lions were used with the town’s previous arms adopted c. 1970. The green colour of the ribbons around their necks is associated with Butler’s Rangers, who settled in the Niagara area following the American Revolutionary War. Gorgets were worn by British Army officers until 1830, and the one on the lion thus alludes to the regiment’s leader, Colonel John Butler, the founder of the town. The other lion wears a medal as a reference to the medals bearing the King’s effigy given to First Nations chiefs in recognition of their alliance with the Crown, and acknowledges the support of the First Nations during the War of 1812, which helped to build a peaceful foundation in the area for the years to follow. The Royal Union Flag of 1707 is used as a symbol of Loyalist heritage and recalls the United Empire Loyalists who settled what is now Niagara-on-the-Lake. The stylized water represents Lake Ontario and the Niagara River, and the base pays tribute to the importance of the local fruit and wine industries.

Motto

This existing town motto alludes to the local fruit industry.

Flag

The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.

Badge

The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.


Background

Canada Gazette Information

The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on March 22, 2014, in Volume 148, page 656 of the Canada Gazette.


Artist Information

Creator(s)
Original concept of Bruce Patterson, Deputy Chief Herald of Canada, and Ralph Spence, Albion Herald Extraordinary, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Painter
Debra MacGarvie

Calligrapher
Shirley Mangione


Recipient Information

Civil Institution
Regional, Municipal etc Government