- Governor General
- Smart & Caring
- Governor General's Awards
- Caring Canadian Award
- Order of Precedence
- Wearing of Insignia
- Find a Recipient
- Nominate Someone
- Rideau Hall
- The Citadelle of Québec
- News and Events
The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.
Village of New Maryland
New Maryland, New Brunswick
Grant of Arms and Flag
February 15, 1995
Vol. III, p. 7
Click on each image to enlarge. The blazon and symbolism for each element will accompany the enlarged image.
Paly of five Or and Sable per saltire counterchanged over all a saltire bottony per saltire Argent and Gules between three gunstones and a torteau at the honour point;
A mural crown Or masoned Sable charged with a saltire Argent edged Azure;
PROGRESSIO ET CONCORDIA.
A banner of the Arms;
The design alludes to the coat of arms of George Calvert, Lord Baltimore (1580-1632), which quartered the family arms of Calvert, a pattern of yellow and black vertical stripes, with the family arms of Crossland, which featured a red and white cross. Lord Baltimore had received a grant of land on the Potomac River in 1632 from King Charles I and named it Maryland after the King's wife, Queen Henrietta Maria. Descendants of the Maryland Loyalists, a battalion raised in 1777, settled in the area of the present-day village in 1817, and were joined by Scottish settlers in 1818. The position of the cross refers to the St. Andrews’s cross and thus to New Maryland’s Scottish heritage. The coloured discs refer to a formative story that had a significant impact on both New Maryland’s and New Brunswick’s social history, the duel fought in Maryland Hill on the morning of 2 October 1821 between George Frederick Street and George Ludlow Wetmore. The three black discs signify the shots that were exchanged during this historical event and the red roundel denotes the fatal ball that struck Wetmore.
The coronet of cut stones is a traditional emblem for municipal government. The cross of St. Andrew, the patron saint of Scotland, alludes to New Maryland’s Scottish heritage.
This Latin phrase means "Progress and concord" and reflects the community’s desire for peaceful growth.
The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.
Canada Gazette Information
The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on October 14, 1995, in Volume 129, page 3592 of the Canada Gazette.
Original concept of John Williamson and Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, assisted by the Heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority
Regional, Municipal etc Government