The Viceregal Lion
  1. The Governor General of Canada
  2. Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette
Heraldry Today

The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.

The Corporation of the Township of Hamilton

Cobourg, Ontario
Grant of Arms, Supporters, Flag and Badge
August 13, 1996
Vol. III, p. 117

Click on each image to enlarge. The blazon and symbolism for each element will accompany the enlarged image.


Blazon

Arms

Gules two garbs Or in fess each within three fish interlaced Argent between in chief a fountain and in base two bars wavy Argent;

Crest

Issuant from a mural coronet Vert set with a frieze of ten pairs of maple seeds (five visible) a demi otter Or gorged with hearts and holding in the dexter forepaw a quill pen Gules;

Supporters

Dexter, a beaver, sinister a horse, both Or billety Azure standing on a grassy mount proper rising above barry wavy Argent and Azure;

Motto

BY LAND AND WATER WE FLOURISH;

Flag

A banner of the Arms;

Badge

A hexagon Gules charged with a garb Or within three fish interlaced Argent;


Symbolism

Arms

The colours red and white are taken from the arms of the Chief of Clan Hamilton and they honour Henry Hamilton, Lieutenant Governor of Quebec (1782-1785), the Township’s namesake. The fountain (disc with wavy bars) refers to Rice Lake and the wavy white bars refer to Lake Ontario, two geographic features from this region. The sheaves of grain represent the agricultural heritage and landscape associated with the Township. The six fish symbolize the hamlets which comprise the historic settlements of the Township: Baltimore, Bewdley, Camborne, Cold Springs, Gore’s Landing and Harwood. The fish also refer to an important recreation activity in the region.

Crest

The mural coronet signifies that these are the arms of a municipal corporation. The green stones are a reference to the Township’s cultivated fields interspersed with woodlands. They also allude to the dominant colour in the arms of Northumberland County. The maple seeds refer to the ten concessions of the Township. The otter continues the theme regarding the interrelationship between land and water. It wears a collar of hearts to honour the day the Township acquired its name, 14 February 1791. The quill is in recognition of the two famous authors who made the Township their home in the 19th century: Catherine Parr Traill and Joseph Scriven.

Supporters

The beaver is taken from the arms of Sir Guy Carleton, Lord Dorchester, who ordered the survey of the land on which the Township is located. It also honours Canada. The horse celebrates the pioneers and agricultural activities as well as the increasing recreational use of horses in the present. The beaver and horse are made distinctive with blue rectangles on gold, opposite to the colours of the arms of the Counts of Nassau. This is a reference to the fact that the Township was originally part of the former District of Nassau and the Province of Upper Canada (now Ontario).

Motto

This phrase is an expression of the Township’s history and its ongoing character.

Flag

The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.

Badge

The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.


Background

Canada Gazette Information

The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on November 23, 1996, in Volume 130, page 3280 of the Canada Gazette.


Artist Information

Creator(s)
Original concept of Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, assisted by the heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Painter
Linda Nicholson

Calligrapher
Judith Bainbridge


Recipient Information

Civil Institution
Regional, Municipal etc Government