The Viceregal Lion
  1. The Governor General of Canada
  2. Her Excellency the Right Honourable Julie Payette
Heraldry Today

The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.

The Corporation of the Anglican Parish of St. Andrews

St. Andrews, New Brunswick
Grant of Arms, Flag and Badge
July 20, 2006
Vol. V, p. 40

Click on each image to enlarge. The blazon and symbolism for each element will accompany the enlarged image.


Blazon

Arms

Argent on a cross Gules the Royal Cypher of His Majesty King George III Or, in the first quarter a paschal lamb reguardant proper nimbed Or supporting a cross staff proper flying therefrom a banner Azure charged with a saltire Argent, on a chief Azure three celestial crowns Or;

Motto

FEAR GOD HONOUR THE KING;

Flag

A banner of the Arms;

Badge

A saltire Argent fimbriated Azure surmounted by a cross Gules enfiling a celestial crown Or;


Symbolism

Arms

The main part of the shield with the cross of St. George refers to the Church of England heritage of the parish. The Royal Cypher of King George III marks the loyalty of the Penobscot Loyalists (those refugees from Castine, Maine, at the mouth of the Penobscot River, who founded the Town of St. Andrews in 1783) and commemorates the grants from the Crown which set up and endowed the ecclesiastical parish. The paschal lamb is the traditional symbol of St. John the Baptist and thus refers to St. John the Baptist Chapel of Ease established in Chamcook outside the town in 1846. The banner of St. Andrew on the lamb’s cross staff recalls the “Church of St. Andrews”, the original name of the parish church, and the civil parish from which the ecclesiastical parish takes its name. The celestial crowns are symbols associated with All Saints, and thus refer to the parish’s All Saints’ Church.

Motto

This text is taken from 1 Peter 2:17 (Authorized Version), and appears in the parish’s memorial window to the Reverend Samuel Andrews, the first Rector, a Loyalist refugee and former Rector of Wallingford, Connecticut.

Flag

The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.

Badge

The symbolism of this emblem is found in other element(s) of this record.


Background

Canada Gazette Information

The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on November 18, 2006, in Volume 140, page 3687 of the Canada Gazette.


Artist Information

Creator(s)
Original concept of John L. Williamson, assisted by the Heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority.

Painter
Gordon Macpherson

Calligrapher
Shirley Mangione


Recipient Information

Civil Institution
Local (church, synagogue)