The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.
4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards
Confirmation of the blazon of a Badge
October 4, 2004
Vol. IV, p. 483
Click on each image to enlarge. The blazon and symbolism for each element will accompany the enlarged image.
The coronet of a marquess proper enfiled by a monogram composed of two “Ls” intertwined Argent, above the number “IV” in Roman numerals Or resting on a scroll Azure edged and inscribed PRINCESS LOUISE DRAGOON GUARDS in letters Or, the whole surmounted by the coronet of a daughter of the Sovereign proper.
PRO ARIS ET FOCIS;
The coronets and intertwined Ls refer to the Regiment’s namesake, Princess Louise (1848-1939), daughter of Queen Victoria, and her husband the Marquess of Lorne (1845-1914), Governor General of Canada from 1878 to 1883. The number “IV” recalls the name of the regiment. In 1936, the 4th Hussars of Canada were amalgamated with the Princess Louise Dragoon Guards and redesignated 4th Princess Louise Dragoon Guards.
Meaning “For our altars and our homes”.
Canada Gazette Information
The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on March 12, 2005, in Volume 139, page 691 of the Canada Gazette.
Colour version of the historic badge by Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, and Cathy Sabourin, Fraser Herald, assisted by the Heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority
The recipient's emblems have been originally recorded on 1 February 2002 in Volume IV, page 208 of the Public Register of Arms, Flags and Badges of Canada.