The contents of this Register are intended for research purposes only. The heraldic emblems found in the Register may not be reproduced in any form or in any media without the written consent of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and/or the recipient.
Christ Church Cathedral
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Grant of Arms and Supporter
May 25, 1995
Vol. III, p. 14
Click on each image to enlarge. The blazon and symbolism for each element will accompany the enlarged image.
Azure on a cross Argent the letter Iota above the letter Chi in fess point Gules in the first quarter two bars gemel Argent on a chief of the same three mullets Azure;
A representation of the cathedra of the Right Reverend John Medley displaying on its canopy the arms of the Bishopric of Fredericton;
BELIEVE LOVE OBEY;
The blue shield and white cross allude to the arms of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church Cathedral in Canterbury, England, and broadly to Christianity. The monogram centred on the cross was adapted from the original emblem of Christ Church Cathedral (Fredericton). The upper left side of the shield draws on Bishop John Medley’s (1804-1892) arms used during his episcopate. The original colours were black and white but were changed to blue and white to suit the present arms of the Cathedral. The life and ideas of Bishop Medley played a central role in the material and spiritual construction of the Church. The Lamb of God or Agnus Dei in the chief of the shield of the Bishopric of Fredericton at the top of the cathedral appears as a carving on Bishop Medley’s pastoral staff, which was made from wood dating back to the sixth century. The shield of the Bishopric of Fredericton was also carved in Bishop Medley’s prayer desk, which faces his cathedra.
The arms are held by an artistic rendition of Bishop Medley’s cathedra, which was designed c. 1850. It is a reminder of Bishop Medley’s great contributions to Christ Church Cathedral and the Diocese of Fredericton.
BELIEVE LOVE OBEY;
Canada Gazette Information
The announcement of the Letters Patent was made on October 14, 1995, in Volume 129, page 3593 of the Canada Gazette.
Original concept of John Williamson and Robert D. Watt, Chief Herald of Canada, assisted by the Heralds of the Canadian Heraldic Authority
Local (church, synagogue)